The rules of the Internet and website design (dental website design, included) are constantly changing. And, in order to make a positive, unforgettable, absolutely perfect first-impression to potential new patients online, one today must have an incredible website.
Here are the top 5 must-have features every dental website should include for optimal success:
- Be mobile-friendly. With over half of all website traffic coming from a smartphone or mobile device, having a mobile-friendly or responsive website is key. This ensures your visitors have a great viewing experience across any device. Plus, mobile-friendly websites rank higher on mobile search results – giving you even more of a reason to have a responsive design.
- Be secure (HTTPS). Google recently made updates in Google Chrome so the browser now alerts visitors whenever a website is not It used to be that users would only be alerted if a website was not secure but was asking for sensitive information – like a credit card number. Now, if you have any type of form, but don’t have a secure website, the browser will alert visitors that the site isn’t secure. To take preventative measures from potentially scaring visitors away – make sure your website is HTTPS (instead of HTTP). Contact your website provider to find out how you can make the switch.
- Be compliant. You might have heard of recent lawsuits involving dental practices and the Americans with Disabilities Act (AwDA). To summarize what happened, although the AwDA doesn’t explicitly include websites, the argument can be made that the language and spirit of the law include webseite as a place of public accommodation. Due to this lack of clarity, courts have conflicting views. Unfortunately, this has resulted in recent lawsuits that claim individual dental practices are denying access to disabled patients and/or prospects because their websites are not AwDA accessible.
To ensure your website complies, implement an accessibility tab throughout every page of your website so when clicked, will take visitors to an accessible version of the webpage. Ask your website provider if they have this type of feature available to add to your website.
- Use video. Video is one of the best ways to engage with visitors on your website. Whether you’re showcasing a video testimonial from a happy patient or one that explains a complex procedure in easy-to-understand terms, use video to keep visitors on your website longer (which can also improve your search rankings!).
- Include strong calls-to-action on every page. Make sure visitors know what you want them to do throughout the website. Make sure every page has relevant calls-to-action that ultimately help patients contact your practice or keep learning more. Call-to-action examples include having a form at the top and bottom of each page that enables patients to request an appointment with your practice, complete a questionnaire or survey, or watch a video.
For more ideas on must-have website features, download the whitepaper for additional best practices and the top “don’ts” of a good dental website.